The Project is in line with need of strengthening the impact of the civil society in public policies and decision making to influence key reforms for further support of the country in the EU accession processes. Also, the action is in line with the specific objective to enhance the impact of civil society through their involvement in public policies and further development of the civil dialogue, stronger and active contribution in policy and watchdog initiatives, policy monitoring, increased participatory democracy and improved fundamental rights.
The basis of the project is built on previous experience, findings and conclusions by the project’s partners of the matters covered by the proposed activities. All organizations involved in the project InSoC from Skopje, REC Ambrela from Skopje, Mesecina from Gostivar and Association of Human Rights Protection of Roma from Stip being part of the in-formal NGO Roma network and are grass root organizations familiar with the problems that Roma without personal documentations are facing in their everyday life, worked together for identifying the most suitable project activities and tailoring it to local needs. Due to the declining number of active Roma non-governmental organisations and lack of coordination between state institutions, Roma without personal identification documents are left on the margins on the society with no possibilities to enjoy their basic human rights. In that direction, the Overall objective of the project is: Contribution towards strengthening of the impact of Roma CSOs in the policy processes for elimination of procedural and administrative obstacles which face Roma without personal identification documents that will enable them to enjoy their basic human rights as equal citizens in the Macedonian society.
1 March 2017 to 28 February 2019
- Association of human Right Protection – Stip
- Humanitarian and Charitable Roma Association – Mesecina – Gostivar
- Roma education centre Ambrela – Skopje
This project is financed by EU.
Estimated TOTAL ELIGIBLE COSTS – 288.830 EUR
EU/EDF contribution sought in this application – 259 947 EUR
InSoC, AHRP, Mesecina and Ambrela contribution – 28 883 EUR
Overall goal of the project:
Contribution towards strengthening of the impact of Roma CSOs in the policy processes for elimination of procedural and administrative obstacles which face Roma without personal identification documents that will enable them to enjoy their basic human rights as equal citizens in the Macedonian society.
Objectives of the project:
1: Civil society and public institutions are working in partnership based on willingness, trust and mutual recognition for elimination of the procedural and administrative barriers for issuing personal documents for Roma population;
2: Building capacities of the grass-root Roma activists for their stronger and active contribution in policy initiatives, networking and implementation of measures to integrate Roma community at local and national level;
3: Raising awareness of the citizens on equality and fundamental rights as a condition for overcoming prejudices, systematic discrimination and improvement of the status of the Roma in Macedonia;
1.1 Working meetings with representatives from ministries and local self-governments
1.2 Establishing the local coordination groups
1.3 Advocacy meetings
2.1 Training for processing of the cases of person without of personal documentation
3.1 Round-tables in Roma settlements;
3.2 Consulting and legal advices;
3.3 Preparation of the policy briefs;
3.4 Preparation of recommendations;
4.1 Case study documentary;
4.2 Project communication strategy & visibility;
4.3 Final closing conference;
1. Reinforcing cooperation between CSO and institutions;
- Established consultation mechanism between CSOs and public institutions;
- Regulated legal status of unregistered persons and enabling effective enjoyment of their rights and freedoms.
- Facilitated the procedural and administrative barriers for issuing personal documents for Roma population in the targeted municipalities.
2. Capacity building of the Roma activists and CSO’s;
- Increased capacity of Roma activists and civil society organizations for networking, advocacy and assistance of the Roma population for their integration and enjoyment of fundamental rights an local and national level;
- Increased capacity of Roma activists and civil society organizations for networking, advocacy and assistance of the Roma population for their integration and enjoyment of fundamental rights a local and national level.
3. Field actions;
- Proposed a number of concrete recommendations based on the previous activities in the frame of this project such as recommend to the authorities to remove obstacles and technical and administrative barriers in the process of obtaining documents, simplify procedures as well as developing an effective measures to address the problem.
4. Awareness campaign;
- Raised awareness about the challenges that Roma without documents are facing in the process of integration in the society and enjoyment of the fundamental rights and Informed Roma community about the importance of obtaining personal documentation.
- Improving general knowledge about Roma communities and their specific situation, and to overcome prejudicial views and negative stereotypes that fuel discrimination;